Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Word Wall


Today, I put together a word wall I'll be using in my freshman English classes.  Word Walls are invaluable for any grade level, not just elementary. One of the biggest problems students face as they test are weaknesses in vocabulary.  Actually, weak vocabularies are the BIGGEST problems students face throughout their school careers (even well into graduate school).

The above is the west wall of my classroom. I like the white brick look but making things stick to it is quite difficult. Thus, I used hot glue and it worked well. I only needed to dab on a little glue. 

I cut out 26 stars from yellow laminate construction paper.  I also cut out all the letters in CAPS.  A friend of mine helped and put one letter on each star.  I then cut out the letters for the title of my Word Wall.  I also cut out a HEART and then a KEY.

This is a picture of the completed Word Wall.


The wall is titled :Words are the (Heart)s of our lives and the (KEY)s to unlock any (door)!

Far Left

Middle

Far Right

I will introduce at least 1 word a week. I will have them keep a word wall log in their Interactive Folders. I will require them to use a certain amount of words during assignments.  The words will mainly be "testing" terms, but I will use any opportunity to introduce new words from wherever they originate.









No comments:

Post a Comment