Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Cover Up with Curtains

I do not have a closet in my classroom. Thus, I have to get creative in how I hide clutter, supplies, workbooks, and teacher's manuals from view.  I first made the curtains two years ago when I was in another room.  The shelves in this new room are not the same distance as the shelves of the other room.  Sadly, my curtains have to overlap one another and there is a gap just underneath the counter. However, the curtains do the job of covering everything. 

 
 

As you can see, although everything is organized, it takes away from the uniformity I'm trying to project.  I also want students to know that they just can't get my supplies when they want them.  I always provide supplies for my students but only do so during activities where they are required. I've sadly had many supplies stolen because they are in clear view.  This also prevents a lot of theft.

Where each set of shelves meet, you can see a vertical brace.  I put the new adhesive hooks at the top of each vertical brace.


This particular hook was being stubborn, so I ended up putting on some hot glue and it worked well.

When I first made the curtains, I used dowel rods to support the curtains.  I painted the ends white so that they would go with my purple/white theme. Go Wildcats!  There was no point in painting the entire rod since the curtain would be covering most of it.


Once I had all the hooks in place, I carefully worked on setting the rods and curtains on them.  As I said, they overlap in this room, so I will have to go back and tape some of them together so that they don't fall every time someone is at the counter. 


This gives my room a uniform, cleaner look.  The books that are exposed to the right of the picture are a part of my student library.  I also have the grammar, literature, and reference books exposed so that access is easy. 









No comments:

Post a Comment